Sunday, June 21, 2009

Bloom's Taxonomy Book Review Questions: What lesson did you learn from the story?

Book Read: Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

I have learnt many lesons from reading this book. No doubt it may look like a simple book, being very thin, but it has taught me, and it will teach you, many things about the way we should perceive life and how we should be living our lives. We have now the pleasure of reading the teachings of Mitch's teacher, Morrie Schwartz, despite his illness. Just for you to know, Morrie suffers from Amyotropic lateral sclerosis (ALS), the same disease that Stephen Hawking suffers from and this story is a true story.
This book covers a great many topics, but I will cover those which I think are relevant and those which have impacted me in some way.
I would focus on feeling sorry for yourself, regrets, family, emotions, money and forgiveness.
On feeling sorry for yourself, in the book, Mitch asked Morrie if he felt sorry for himself, having an incurable disease that would kill him very soon. Morrie's reply was, "Sometimes in the mornings, that's when I mourn. I feel around my body, I move my fingers and my hands-whatever I can still move-and mourn what I've lost. But then I concentrate on all the good things still in my life. On all the people who are coming to see me. On all the stories I'm going to hear. " Then he goes on to say, "I don't allow myself any more self-pity than that. A little each morning, a few tears, and that's all. " What I learnt from this is that we should not dwell in self-pity, looking at ourselves and thinking, "Look at me now, I don't have this, I don't have that." That isn't the right way to think. Instead, we should look more at the good things we still have in life, the people around us, our family, our friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment